You are here: Home > Business > Planning advice for business > Change of use of buildings

Change of use of buildings

Planning permission may be required for what is termed a 'material change of use' of buildings or land e.g. to convert a pub into a house

The use classes are described using a letter such as A2, B2 etc. A planning application is needed if the existing and proposed use of land or buildings fall within different classes. No application is required if the proposed and existing uses fall within the same class.

A list of the different use classes is available on the planning portal website.

Apply for permission

To apply for permission, download an application form and notes to help you complete it.

Date Updated: 27/03/14

Contact information


01296 585163, 585600, 585277


Ask a Question