Legal responsibilities for waste disposal
Every business must ensure its waste is disposed of in a controlled and licensed way.
Businesses must take all reasonable steps to keep waste safe. If you give waste to someone else, you must be sure they are authorised to take it and can transport, recycle or dispose of it safely.
If you break the law, you can be fined an unlimited amount.
Businesses have a duty of care to make sure:
- Waste is stored, handled, recycled or disposed of safely and legally
- Waste is stored, handled, recycled or disposed of only by businesses which hold the correct current licences to do the work
- Record all transfers of waste between their business and another business using a waste transfer note (WTN)
- Keep all WTNs signed by both businesses, for at least two years
- Record any transfer of hazardous/special waste between their business and another business using a consignment note
- Keep all consignment notes, signed by both businesses for at least three years
For more information on legal responsibilities for waste disposal visit the website by following the link below.
Date Published: 28/03/08