Responsible dog ownership
A dog that is loved, well cared for, and properly trained can provide a lot of pleasure and hours of companionship. Owners have a responsibility to look after their dogs to ensure that their pets stay healthy and have a good quality of life. This includes providing sufficient food, exercise, vaccinations, medical attention, and training.
We help to ensure responsible dog ownership in Aylesbury Vale by:
- Providing information and advice on dog care
- Providing a dog warden service to collect stray dogs and take them to safe accommodation at kennels
- Enforcing the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996, which allows local authorities to prosecute irresponsible dog owners who fail to clean up after their dogs have fouled in designated areas.
What you can do
- Look after your dog’s needs to keep your companion fit and healthy
- Clear up after your dog and encourage other dog owners to do the same
- Make sure that your dog wears a collar and tag, to enable your dog to be identified easily should you lose track of your pet.
- Report any stray dogs that you find on 08444 828346
For more details on your responsibilities under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996, and our dog warden service, follow the links in this section.
Recommended external websites
*N.B External links are selected and reviewed when the current page is published. However, the AVDC is not responsible for the content of external websites.
Caring for your dog - the Dog Trust website
Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals