Council agrees key member appointments
Archived press release
Date Published: 18/05/09
Key appointments for the civic year ahead were made at the annual meeting of Aylesbury Vale District Council on 13 May.
Councillor Janet Blake was elected Chairman of the Council, succeeding Councillor Netta Glover. Councillor Blake was succeeded in her previous role as Vice Chairman by Councillor Derrick Isham.
The major role of the Chairman is to act as a civic figurehead and ambassador for the council and the district of Aylesbury Vale.
Each year a variety of fundraising events are held with the proceeds being donated to the charities chosen by the Chairman. This year Councillor Blake has chosen to support the British Red Cross Buckinghamshire Branch and Hearing Dogs for the Deaf.
Also at Annual Council, Councillor John Cartwright was re-elected Leader of the Council and the chairmen of the council’s committees were agreed.
The new council year will see a new look for the council’s cabinet. Councillor Neil Blake is joining the cabinet to replace Councillor Margaret Morgan-Owen as the member responsible for resources.
Councillor Morgan-Owen is stepping down from the cabinet for personal reasons but will remain a district councillor.
The full list of cabinet responsibilities is as follows:
• Councillor John Cartwright – Leader of the Council
• Councillor Michael Edmonds – Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Economic Development
• Councillor Kevin McPartland – Cabinet Member for Civic Amenities
• Councillor Pam Pearce – Cabinet Member for Community Matters
• Councillor Huw Lewis – Cabinet Member for Corporate Issues
• Councillor Sir Beville Stanier – Cabinet Member for Environment and Health
• Councillor David Thompson – Cabinet Member for Leisure
• Councillor Sue Polhill – Cabinet Member for Planned Development
• Councillor Neil Blake – Cabinet Member for Resources
• Councillor Carole Paternoster – Cabinet Member for Strategic Planning
Full details on the chairs and vice chairs of the council’s committees will be available on the council’s website at www.aylesburyvaledc.gov.uk/council-democracy
Anyone who would like to be considered to have a visit from the Chairman of the Council, who has any fundraising ideas, or would like to make a donation to her charities can do so by contacting Jan Roffe at the Chairman’s Office on 01296 585009.