New 'all-in-one' recycling bin
You will no longer have to separate your recycling, as it can all go in the one bin. As well as the usual materials we've always taken, there are some new ones as well.
The recycling bin is larger than the standard AVDC waste bin - 240-litres - and has a blue lid to distinguish it from the plain green waste bin. The lid has a notch in the front lip, to help blind and partially sighted people know which bin they're using.
Please ensure your recycling is placed loose into your bin and you wash and squash tins, cans, plastic bottles and cartons and flatten cardboard. Please also rinse out glass bottles and jars, and make sure all containers are empty when they are put into the recycling bin.
What goes in your recycling bin
- Any paper, including envelopes, glossy or coloured paper
- Newspapers and magazines, shredded paper
- Catalogues and phone directories, even Yellow Pages
- Gift wrapping paper and greeting cards, provided there's no glitter or foil on them
- Cardboard food boxes, such as cereal boxes and pizza boxes
- Cardboard boxes used for laundry detergent and dishwasher tablets
- Cardboard tubes from toilet rolls and kitchen rolls
- Corrugated cardboard boxes, eg packaging for electrical goods
- Foil containers and sheets of foil, clean and scrunched up
- Aluminium and steel tins and cans
- Aerosol cans
- Plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays
- Plastic and cardboard egg boxes
- Milk and juice cartons, including TetraPak
- Glass bottles and jars used for food and drink.
What not to put in your recycling bin
- Cling film, plastic carrier bags or sacks, bin bags
- Dog mess and cat litter
- Drinking glasses or crockery
- Empty paint tins
- Engine oil containers
- Oven proof glass, eg Pyrex
- Plastic toys
- Nappies or hygiene products
- Plastic plant pots
- Polystyrene, eg packaging beads, drinks cups and hot food trays
- Scraped-off wallpaper
- Textiles, clothing or shoes
- Electrical items
- Syringes, hypodermic needles or sharps boxes
- Any food waste
Want a larger or smaller recycling bin? If you find your recycling bin is too big or not big enough, you can apply for a smaller, larger or an additional recycling bin. Smaller recycling bins are the same size as the standard waste bin; larger bins are half as big again as the normal recycling bin.