Website Advertising Policy
This policy is intended to provide guidelines for advertising on the Aylesbury Vale District Council website.
The policy aims to provide positive advice to prospective advertisers on what is and what is not acceptable advertising for the AVDC website.
This policy does not cover advertising for print, or other advertising such as for billboards, hoardings, vehicles, etc.
This policy uses the guidelines laid out by the Advertising Standards Authority, the guidance in the British Codes of Advertising and Sales Promotion, and the Code of Recommended Practice on Local Authority publicity.
Definition of advertising
For the purposes of website advertising this is an agreement between Aylesbury Vale District Council and Logo-Net, where the council receives money from Logo-Net for selling advertising space on the council website in pre-determined locations.
Aylesbury Vale District Council reserves the right to withdraw advertising from its website at any time.
All our advertising must be:
• Legal, decent, honest and truthful.
• Prepared with a sense of responsibility to consumers and society.
• In line with the principles of fair competition.
• Applied in the spirit as well as the letter of the law.
Advertising may come from competitors, such as health club operators, event management companies and theatres.
Advertising must not:
• Appear to be designed in whole or in part to affect public support for a political party (section 2 of the Local Government Act 1986, as amended by section 27 of the Local Government Act 1988).
• In the reasonable opinion of the council, be inappropriate or objectionable, or bring the council into disrepute.
• Be likely to subject the council to prosecution, or bring the council into financial or legal conflict.
• Discriminate against people because of their race, sexual orientation, disability or age.
• Promote gambling or gaming.
• Promote arms or weaponry.
• Promote loan companies.
• Refer to tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs or similar products.
• Promote sexual or adult products and services.
• Promote pressure groups or political activities.
• Condone or encourage unsafe practices.
• Provoke or condone violence or violent behaviour.
• Attempt to gain favourable influence or terms in its dealings with the council or officers.
• Identify individuals without their prior permission. Advertisers using testimonials should hold written contracts with the individual identified.
The acceptance of advertising on our website does not imply endorsement of any products or services by Aylesbury Vale District Council.
Aylesbury Vale District Council is looking for ways to maintain its services without passing on higher costs to its council taxpayers. We allow advertising on the council web pages in order to generate income to support service delivery.
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of advertisements
on this website, Aylesbury Vale District Council cannot accept any liability for errors and omissions. We will not accept any responsibility for claims made by advertisers and their inclusion on the Aylesbury Vale District Council website should not be taken as an endorsement by the council.
Guidelines have been agreed and adverts will comply with relevant regulations and basic standards of honesty and decency. Aylesbury Vale District Council does not necessarily endorse or recommend the advertiser’s goods or services. Nor is Aylesbury Vale District Council responsible for the quality or reliability of the product or services offered.
Aylesbury Vale District Council will never knowingly run an advertisement which is untrue or fraudulent.
For more information on our advertising policy email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Updated: 20/10/14