What do I need to do to apply for a licence?
You must be at least 21 and have held a full EU drivers licence for at least 18 months.
Private hire drivers will also require:
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Pass certificate from a Council approved driving standards assessor
- A Group 2 medical test
- DVLA licence check
- Evidence of adequate English language skills
- Evidence of attendance at the Council's Exploitation Safeguard training
Hackney carriage drivers will require:
- Everything that a private hire driver needs
- Enhanced wheelchair element of the driving standards assessment
- Satisfactory completion of the Aylesbury Vale local knowledge test (geographical awareness)
Renewing your licence
Drivers licence are usually granted for a maximum 3 years, but may be granted for shorter periods in certain circumstances.
Applications to renew the licence must be made in sufficient time and drivers are advised to submit applications 2 months before their licence expires. If the licence expires before the driver has submitted their renewal application, or the Licensing Service is given insufficient time to process the renewal application and the licence expires, the driver will no longer be licensed and must stop working.
Renewing drivers don't need to retake the English language assessment or driving standards tests and renewing hackney carriage applicants won't need to repeat the knowledge test, but all other checks will be carried out upon renewal of the licence.
Drivers and Immigration Control
Special procedures apply to applicants who have time-limited right to work. See Immigration Control.
Make an application
- Apply for a taxi driver licence
- Apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence
- Apply for a private vehicle licence
- Apply for a private hire operator licence
- Taxi vehicle registration number exchange
For the process of making your applications and making a booking, please see the following instructional videos: