Building control application forms, charges and guidance

Information about the procedures and how you apply

Full plans

Use the full plans procedure if:

  • you want certainty that your proposals will meet building regulations
  • you’re building a commercial property and the building is subject to the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
  • for buildings over or close to a public sewer
  • where a new building is to be constructed fronting onto a private street

You will need to submit detailed plans, specifications, calculations and other supporting information, detailed below.

Your full plans application must include drawings and plans that:

  • are drawn in metric units
  • show extensions and alterations in colour
  • indicate the use of each room in the building

You must include:

  • a location plan not less than 1:1250 scale, showing the site boundaries and position of the property, drains, trees and other buildings or possible hazards
  • all relevant elevations, showing cladding, windows, doors and other openings
  • a sectional drawing through the work
  • full construction details and specifications, with calculations for any structural elements

We will issue a formal notice of approval or rejection within the statutory period which is five to eight weeks

Apply for Full Plans Approval online.

Building notice

Use the building notice procedure for small works such as:

  • domestic internal alterations
  • removal of a load bearing wall
  • small domestic extension
  • alterations to domestic drainage
  • fitting a new load bearing bay window
  • replacement windows

This procedure does not always require plans, and when it does the requirements are relatively basic, so it’s less detailed than the full plans application.

Only use this procedure if you’re confident that the work will comply with building regulations, or risk having to correct the work later.

When does the building notice procedure require plans?

Plans are only required for new buildings or extensions, or when drainage work is being carried out. Plans should be to not less than 1:1250 scale, and should show the site boundaries, position of the property, and any drainage.

Apply for a Building Notice online.

Regularisation of work

Use regularisation to check whether work already carried out without an application meets building regulations.

Where the unauthorised work included the erection of a new building or extension, you will need to submit:

  • a block plan, preferably to a scale of not less than 1:500, showing the size and position of the building or extension, it's relationship to the boundaries of the premises and any other buildings within those boundaries, and the provisions made for drainage

In every case, detailed plans identifying and showing the extent of the unauthorised work and showing any additional work required to be carried out to secure compliance with relevant building regulations, so far as is reasonable in the circumstances.

In assessing the unauthorised work for compliance with building regulations, the Council may require the applicant to uncover work, take samples and make such tests as may reasonably be required.

Apply for Regularisation of Work online.


The charge depends on the type of building work:

A payment link will be emailed to the applicant once we have reviewed the application.

Applying if you are a business

If you are a business owner and wish to make an application, please apply as a business online.