Cambridge - Milton Keynes - Oxford Expressway
In September 2018, the Department for Transport announced their preferred corridor for the proposed Cambridge to Oxford (via Milton Keynes) Expressway following recommendations from Highways England. This is the first of a number of key decisions that will be taken in respect of this locally and nationally important project.
In a meeting of Buckinghamshire Council's full council on 18 September 2019, a motion to oppose the Expressway was passed unanimously and this is now the formal position of the council.
In November 2019 Highways England announced that the public consultation, expected to be autumn 2018, has been paused due to the General Election followed shortly by Christmas, and will not now take place until the new year.
In November 2017 the National Infrastructure Commission (NIC) published its report ‘Partnering for Prosperity: A new deal for the Cambridge-Milton Keynes-Oxford Corridor’
As part of its recommendations the report proposed a new dual carriageway road – the Expressway - between Oxford and Cambridge. It offered three potential corridor options for the section between Oxford and Milton Keynes:
- Corridor A - via Aylesbury
- Corridor B - following the east-west rail route
- Corridor C - existing A421 corridor around Buckingham
In April 2018 Highways England invited stakeholders to provide feedback on their preferred corridor.
In September 2018, Highways England announced Corridor B will be the preferred corridor, the first of a number of key decisions regarding this locally and nationally important project.
What happens next?
As shown in the timeline below, the next step in the process is route identification by the Department for Transport and Highways England. However, the public consultation has been delayed from autumn 2019. HE are expected to provide a further update in early 2020 on the timeline and any implications to the programme.
- Highways England booklet showing a map of the corridors and summarising the background to the decision: Oxford to Cambridge Expressway - The preferred corridor
- April 2018 Buckinghamshire Council Cabinet report
- April 2018: Buckinghamshire Council's response to Highways England
- 12 September 2018, Buckinghamshire Council Press release: Cambridge - Milton Keynes - Oxford Expressway Corridor B announcement
- Housing growth letter from Buckinghamshire Council Leader to Kit Malthouse MP
- 18 September 2019 Buckinghamshire Council members voted to oppose the Expressway (see Notice of Motion, agenda 8)
Following this announcement, we will continue to work with our partners to understand the potential implications for our members, local communities and residents. This page will be updated with relevant links and documents as they become available.