Carrying out electrical work - read before starting work

When you need to tell us about electrical work and how to ensure you comply with the building regulations

If you want to add a new circuit to a dwelling, or you’re carrying out work in high risk areas like a bathroom, you will either need to make a building regulation application or make sure that the work is carried out by an installer who is registered with a competent person scheme.

We strongly encourage the use of electricians and installers who are part of a Competent Person scheme.

If the installer is not registered under the Part P self-certification scheme, you must notify us before work begins.

See our electrical safety leaflet for more information.