Damp and mould

If you're suffering with damp and/or mould growth, the first thing you should do is try to identify why the property might be damp.

There are several reasons why you may see damp and mould growth in your home:

  • damage to the roofs or walls of houses can allow rainwater to get in
  • leaks from gutters, drainpipes and waste pipes can cause dampness

If there's no obvious damage to the building, and you don't think a water leak is causing the problem, the most likely cause of the damp is condensation. Condensation is caused by moisture inside your home coming into contact with a colder surface like a window or wall. Water droplets then soak into the surface causing dampness and, in time, black mould growth. Mould is normally found in the corners of rooms, near windows or behind furniture where air doesn't circulate.

Energy Efficiency Rating

If the damp and mould is caused by condensation then following the simple steps in the keeping your home free from damp and mould webpage should improve the problem.

If you rent your home and believe that there is a problem with the building that is causing damp and/or mould growth, you should contact your landlord. If you're unhappy with your landlords response, the Housing Ombudsman Service can provide advice to help resolve issues between tenants and landlords.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

An EPC must be produced every time a property is built, sold or rented. An EPC contains:

  • information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs
  • recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and it is valid for 10 years. If you are a tenant a copy of the EPC should be provided to you for the property before you sign a rental agreement. If the energy efficiency rating is low then the property is likely to be less well insulated and more expensive to heat.

More information on EPCs can be found on Direct.gov