Domestic violence

What is domestic violence?

Domestic violence is any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.

Where can I get help for domestic abuse?


Aylesbury Women’s Aid
Offers a safe place to stay and/or confidential information, advice and support to women and their children experiencing domestic violence.

Women of any age, marital status, background, nationality or ethnic origin are welcome to use the service.

It’s available 24 hours a day, every day. Telephone 01296 436827 (office hours)

Sexual Assault & Abuse Support Service - Aylesbury Vale and Milton Keynes
Offers counselling, information and support for women affected by rape, sexual assault and child sexual abuse, recently or in the past.

Also support for female carers and mothers of abused children.

Telephone 01296 719 772

Offers confidential relationship counselling to couples, individuals and families living in Aylesbury Vale.

Counsellors have received specialist training on domestic violence and will see couples together within a strict contract of no violence, where there is a commitment to change.

Individual victims of violence can also receive counselling on relationships.

Telephone 01296 427973

Thames Valley Police Domestic Violence Unit

Aylesbury Police Station has officers who are committed and dedicated to helping victims of domestic violence.

Offers a confidential and supportive network to anyone reporting incidents or seeking advice.

Advice is given on reduction of repeat victimisation and criminal proceedings.

Telephone 101

Call 999 for immediate help in an emergency

Visit the police web site

Freedom programme
A programme for women to enable them to move on with their lives, to get their confidence back and have those who can understand, listen to them, believe them, and not judge them.

Telephone 07746 667651.

Men’s advice line
Telephone 0808 801 0327 or visit

Social Care at Buckinghamshire Council 
Offers support and assistance where domestic violence is evident.
Provides a multi-agency approach for victims and their children.
Gives practical support to all family members.

Telephone 0845 370 8090

Children and Families Referral and Assessment Team
Telephone: 01296 387932

Citizens Advice Bureau
Free, confidential advice on all subjects including benefits, housing, relationship problems and employment.

Free legal advice by appointment.

Telephone Buckingham Office: 01280 816707
Telephone Aylesbury Office: 01296 425469

Health Visitors
Health visitors offer support to all members of the community experiencing domestic violence. You can speak to them in confidence and they will be able to refer you to other agencies that can help.
Contact your health visitor through your GP surgery, or speak to your GP.

Solicitors and Civil Law
You may be able to get an injunction that will order your partner or ex-partner to stay away from you or your children, to leave home, or not to harm or interfere with you. You can apply directly to a County Court or a solicitor to represent you. A solicitor can also help you obtain a divorce or legal separation and give you general advice.
Those with a low or no income may qualify for Legal Aid financial help.

You should use a solicitor who is experienced in family law. You can get more information through the Citizens Advice Bureau, Women’s Aid or the Police Domestic Violence Unit.

Our housing department can advise you on housing matters and help by providing emergency accommodation if you are fleeing domestic violence.

Email housing needs

R-U Safe? - Bucks Young Women's Service.
Working with young women under the age of 18 who are being sexually exploited.

Telephone 07903 565223

Victims First
Free and confidential help to victims of crime. Making sure all victims and witnesses receive the support they need to cope with and recover from the impact of crime.

Telephone 0300 1234 148