Homeless or at risk of losing your home

At risk of losing your accommodation?

If your circumstances mean you are at an immediate risk of homelessness (56 days or less) or currently have nowhere to live, you should:

A member of our team will contact you to advise on your options, focusing on practical and legal advice to help you stay where you are and/ or help you to find alternative accommodation.

The sooner you make us aware of your housing situation, the more likely we are to be able to assist you. They will be able to advise you on your options, focusing on practical and legal advice to help you stay where you are and/or help you to find alternative accommodation. 

You will be asked about your current situation, about how you became homeless or why you are likely to lose your home. You will also be asked for information which will help us to determine how we can enable you to stay where you are if you wish to such as:

  • Negotiating with your landlord to enable you to remain at your tenancy
  • Looking for opportunities to maximize your income so that you can afford to remain in your home
  • Identifying extra security measures that could be put in place so that you feel safe in your home
  • Negotiating with friends or relatives enabling you to remain with them for a longer period of time

We also need to establish if we have a legal duty to provide you with accommodation, if you are at risk of losing your home or have no accommodation.

If we cannot prevent your homelessness, then we will help you look for somewhere else to live.

After talking to you, your adviser will make a decision on what legal duties, if any, we owe you.  You will be informed of this decision in writing - if you do not agree with this decision you are able to request a review of your case. 

For more information, help or advice, please contact us.

In a housing emergency, such as a homelessness situation, you can come to The Gateway, Gatehouse Road, Aylesbury, Bucks HP19 8FF or call 01296 585168 for an appointment.

For emergency out of office hours, please call 0800 9997677


Support with your housing situation


If you are at risk of losing your accommodation  within 56 days or less and/or have 1 month or more rent arrears, P3 Charity's Housing Support service may be able to support you. This free service is provided across the whole Buckinghamshire Council area and is  run by an independent charity. For more information or to complete a quick and simple online form please go to www.p3charity.org/bucks or phone our free phone number 0808 164 1810.


Where else can I find advice?

Shelter can provide advice on housing and homelessness.

If you're sleeping rough - or you're concerned about someone who is, contact Street Link, who provide access to local services and support

More information