Housing for older people

You may be looking to move for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you want to be nearer family or maybe you feel you need somewhere where there is an element of support if you need it.

Where can I get advice?

For specialist advice on housing and care options for older people, contact FirstStop Care Advice. It’s a free and independent service for older people, their families and their carers.

Alternatively, please contact Which? Later Life Care, a free and independent advice service covering all things related to caring for older people - including housing choices.

What are my options?

Council or housing association tenants

If you’re a council or housing association tenant looking to move to another area, contact the local authority in which you wish to live to see if you can apply to go on their housing register.

If you’re looking to move to Aylesbury Vale, you’ll need to apply through the Bucks Home Choice website.

You may be given greater priority on the housing register if your house is no longer suitable for your needs, eg for medical reasons, or you want to downsize.

Retirement Housing

The following Housing Associations will accept direct applications for retirement properties.


If you need help managing your home, contact us to see if you quality for a grant to make modifications to it that will enable you to stay there.

If you're considering retirement accommodation or homes that offer support or nursing care, contact the Elderly Accommodation Counsel for help finding an available property.