Keeping your accommodation
- remand prisoners – you can claim housing benefit for up to 52 weeks; if it becomes apparent that you’ll be away from home for more than 52 weeks, your housing benefit will be stopped
- convicted prisoners – housing benefit will only be paid for a maximum of 13 weeks
You must write to the Housing Benefits section to let them know of your changed circumstances, including:
- where you are
- the address you with to claim for
- whether you’ve been sentenced or are on remand
- the date you were sentenced and your release date, including remission
- the date you were remanded and, if you were sentenced, the date you were sentenced, the length of you sentence or your release date
If you have a probation officer, they should be able to help you find somewhere to live.
See our looking for a home leaflet for more information.