This year, Buckinghamshire Council is proud to be taking part in the Great British September Clean, the country’s biggest mass-action environmental campaign. The aim of the campaign is to inspire people to work in partnership with community organisations, businesses and councils to collect and safely dispose of litter from Britain’s streets, parks and beaches.
The campaign, usually known as the Great British Spring Clean, was postponed in March due to Coronavirus and has been rescheduled for 11-27 September 2020. Over 600,000 people countrywide have promised to give up their time and take action to clean up Britain’s streets, parks and beaches.
Come and join forces with us and Keep Britain Tidy as we stand up to litter, and stop it from damaging our environment and ruining Buckinghamshire.
The Great British September Clean encourages local residents to organise a community litter picking event. In our bid to support the campaign and any local litter picking events, Buckinghamshire Council will organise for all litter that is collected to be removed from a central location. We loan litter pickers, bags, high-vis tabards and gloves (subjected to availability).
Last year the former district councils who now work together as Buckinghamshire Council, supported 63 events organised by parish councils, community groups and environmental groups involving over 1100 volunteers who together collected more than 2500 bags of rubbish!
So, how do I get involved?
First things first…
- If you wish to get involved, please go to the Keep Britain Tidy website to find out more information and register your litter pick. (This will enable them to keep track of all the good work going on across the country!)
- There is also a Risk Assessment provided which should be used to consider any potential risks involved with the event.
- Download the comprehensive guide to organising a community event.
- Once you have registered, please let us know all about your event by filling in this online form.
- Be sure to visit Buckinghamshire Council’s Gateway Office to collect a supply of bags for your litter picking event.
- Take to the streets, parks, outside spaces of Aylesbury Vale and be a #LitterHero
- Remember to share your photographs and stories of your event with us. Tag us in your social media posts @BucksCouncil and use the hashtags #GBSpringClean and #LoveYourVale. Alternatively you can email Streetscene with your photos.
Together we can make a difference and clean up the environment on our doorstep.
Please take a moment to read our Privacy Notice.
If you have any queries please contact Streetscene where an officer will be able to help you. For any events being organised in Aylesbury’s town centre you can contact Aylesbury Town Council who are also supporting the Keep Britain Tidy campaign.
Please note: If when carrying out your litter pick you come across any incidents of fly tipping please can we ask that you leave the waste in situ and report to Streetscene. This will allow us to investigate and arrange for the appropriate organisation to remove the waste.
Please also note that permission must be obtained from all those photographed before posting images online and, if sending by email, please provide confirmation that permission has been obtained. Those under 16 will need the permission of their parent or carer. Images emailed to us may be used for promotional purposes.