Who is affected by the LHA?
Your housing benefit will be calculated using LHA if:
- you rent from a private landlord and make a new claim for housing benefit
- you already get housing benefit and move into private rented accommodation
- you rent from a private landlord and you have a break in your housing benefit claim
You will not be affected by LHA if:
- you rent from a housing association or a hostel
- your tenancy started before 15 January 1989
- you rent a caravan, mobile home or houseboat
- your rent includes substantial board and attendance
- your rent is protected, eg you live in supported accommodation
How is LHA worked out?
The amount of LHA you could get depends on:
- who lives with you
- the area you live
- your household income
- your savings
How much LHA am I entitled to?
Your LHA is based on where you live. Aylesbury Vale has been divided into 4 Broad Rental Market Areas (BRMA):
- Milton Keynes
- Cherwell Valley
Find out which BRMA your village or town is in and then check the LHA rate for that area.
How many rooms can I have and still qualify for LHA?
You are allowed 1 bedroom for:
- every adult couple
- every other adult aged 16+
- any 2 children of the same sex
- any 2 children regardless of sex under 10
- any other child
Local Housing Allowance from Citizen's Advice Bureau
Understanding LHA and broad rental market areas from GOV.UK