Need help paying?

If you’re having extreme difficulty paying your council tax, we may be able to help by making a one-off credit to your council tax account.

Who can apply for help?

  • you must be liable to pay council tax to AVDC
  • you must have no restrictions on your receiving public funds
  • you should already be in receipt of a discount or reduction on your council tax bill

How much help will I get?

The amount of help you get will depend on your circumstances. If you’ve received help in a previous year, you’ll probably receive less help from the fund this year.

How do I apply?

Please complete the online form.

Can it be backdated?

No, the amount you get will depend on your circumstances at the time you apply.

What if I move after extra help has been granted?

If you move within Aylesbury Vale, the credit will be transferred to your new account. If you move out of the area, we’ll recover any credit on your account up to the amount granted.

Can I appeal against a decision?

If you’re unhappy with the decision, there is a 2 stage internal appeal process:

  • first, you can ask a supervisor to review your case
  • if you’re still unhappy, you can ask a manager to review your case

You have 1 month from the date of the letter notifying you of the decision to appeal.

If you’ve been refused extra help, you cannot reapply unless:
• your income reduces by more than £20 per week
• a new financial year starts (1 April)

Because the scheme is discretionary, you can’t appeal to an external organisation.

Rate this page: