Personal licences

What is a personal licence?

A personal licence is a portable licence issued to an individual which allows them to authorise sales of alcohol from premises that hold a premises licence.

  • A personal licence:
  • is granted to an individual;
  • has effect indefinitely;
  • ceases to have effect if surrendered, suspended or revoked; or if the holder may no longer work lawfully in the UK; and
  • can be used anywhere in England and Wales


Before you can apply for a personal licence, you will first need to complete a qualification known as the Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH).

The Government maintains a list of awarding bodies who issue this qualification.

Please contact the qualification providers directly for details of their course and local training centres.

The application process

We can only accept your application if you live in Aylesbury Vale (or if you live outside of England and Wales). You must also be able to prove (with copies of official government-issued documents) that you have the legal right to work in the UK.

To apply for a licence, please print and complete the application for below, you will also need to send us:

  • two passport photos, one of which has been endorsed (by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification) with a statement that the photo is a true likeness of the applicant
  • the certificate issued after passing the accredited training course
  • a completed 'Disclosure of convictions, immigration penalties and Declaration' form (included with the application form)
  • a criminal record certificate, such as a Basic Disclosure, which was issued within the last month
  • copies of documents proving that you have the right to work in the UK (please do not send originals)

If you satisfy all the criteria, we will issue a personal licence, usually within a week of receiving your application.

If you have any unspent convictions for relevant or foreign offences, or have had to pay a civil immigration penalty, or if your right to work in the UK is unclear, we will consult with the police or the Home Office, as applicable. If they object to your application, it will be determined by our Licensing Sub-Committee at a hearing.

Convictions and immigration penalties

When applying for a licence, you must declare any unspent convictions for relevant offences and foreign offences (any equivalent offences committed outside of England and Wales). You must also declare if you have been required to pay a civil immigration penalty. In the circumstances, we will consult the police and/or the Home Office about your application.

People who hold personal licences are also required to notify the licensing authority if they are subsequently convicted of any relevant offence or foreign offence, or required to pay an immigration penalty. Personal licence holders who are charged with a relevant offence must tell the court that they hold a personal licence before the end of their first court appearance. If convicted, the court may decide to order the forfeiture or suspension of the licence as part of the sentence, and the licensing authority may also review that personal licence with a view to revocation or suspension.

Change of name or address

Personal licence holders must notify us in writing of any change to their name or address. A £10.50 fee is payable to update the licence.

Duration and renewals

Personal licences are valid for life, and do not need to be renewed. They will cease to be valid in the following circumstances:

  • if the holder dies
  • if the holder no longer has a legal right to work in the UK
  • if the licence is surrendered by the holder (for example, if they no longer work in the licensed trade and return the licence to us)
  • if we revoke the licence, due to the holder being convicted of a relevant offence or having to pay a civil immigration penalty
  • if a court orders the forfeiture of the licence, as part of a sentence following conviction for a relevant offence.

If your licence has been damaged or lost and you need a replacement, we will issue one on receipt of a written request and payment of the £10.50 fee.

Please download an application form below