Alcohol and entertainment

Keeping workers and customers safe during COVID-19 in restaurants, pubs, bars and takeaway services.

By law, the following activities are licensable:

  • selling alcohol by retail
  • if you’re a qualifying club, supplying alcohol to a club member, or to sell alcohol to a guest of a club member
  • providing regulated entertainment
  • selling late night refreshment - selling hot food and drink between 11pm and 5am for consumption on or off the premises (including take-aways and mobile caterers) unless you’re a hotel, staff canteen or campsite

Licensable activities may only be carried on under, and in accordance with, one of the following:

  • premises licence
  • club premises certificate
  • temporary event notice

All premises where alcohol is supplied under the authority of a premises licence requires a Designated Premises Supervisor – such individuals must have a Personal Licence. Exceptionally, it can be provided by a committee for certain types of premises eg. village halls, community centres.


Our licensing authority officers carry out risk-based, unannounced inspections of all licensed premises throughout the year.

If you’re concerned about a licensed premises, please contact us.

More information

Home Office's mandatory code for alcohol retailers