You may need an animal licence if you:
- Run a business that provides accommodation for other people’s dogs or cats
- Breed dogs for commercial purposes
- Keep or train animals for exhibition
- Sell animals as pets (or breed animals to be resold as pets)
- Hire out horses (for example if you run a riding school)
- Keep an animal on the dangerous wild animal list
- Operate a zoo
Animal Licensing Policy (under review)
For a full list of fees, please view the animal licence fee webpage.
As of 1 October 2018 the licensing of animal boarding, pet shops, dog breeding, riding establishments and performing animals changed.
View or download the DEFRA guidance provided for each activity under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018.
Further information can be found below.