You may need an animal licence if you:
- run a business that provides accommodation for other people’s dogs and cats
- breed dogs for commercial purposes
- keep an animal that is on the dangerous wild animals list
- exhibit, use or train performing animals
- keep animals to sell as pets
- keep a riding establishment
- operate a zoo
Animal Licensing Policy (under review)
For a full list of fees, please view the 2018 animal licence fee document
To view or download the DEFRA guidance provided for each activity under The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 please click here.
As of 1 October 2018 the licensing of animal boarding, pet shops, dog breeding, riding establishments and performing animals changed.
Further information can be found below.