Charity collections

You’ll need a licence if you want to do a street or house to house collection for charity.

You don’t need a licence if it’s on private land, e.g. at a supermarket.

See the for information on organising a collection.

Charity collections during the Covid-19 pandemic

During the Covid pandemic it is vital that you comply with the latest government Health Protection Regulations and guidance.

In order to ensure the safety of your staff and volunteers, as well as members of the public, you must carry out a Covid Risk Assessment and have appropriate control measures in place prior to carrying out your collection.

The Chartered Institute of Fundraising have written guidance for fundraising during the Covid-19 pandemic in consultation with Public Health England and the Health and Safety Executive. For advice on what to consider when carrying out your covid risk assessment please visit the Covid-19 Hub on the Chartered Institute of Fundraising website.

You must include your covid risk assessment when submitting your application to

We recommend that you apply for your permit at least 4 weeks before your proposed collection date to allow adequate time for officers to check your covid risk assessment.