Sex establishments

If you run a sex establishment in Aylesbury Vale, you may need a licence.

Check our sex establishment licencing policy to see if you need a licence.

Who can apply?

You must:

  • be aged 18+
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • have been resident in the UK for at least 6 months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months (unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal)

How do I apply?

Fill in an application form (see below). The form can be used to grant, transfer and renew applications.

You must copy the application to the police within 7 days of submitting it to us.

You must also give public notice of the application. See the application form for more detail.

Fees apply - see below.

If you haven’t heard from Buckinghamshire Council within 14 days of submitting your application, please contact us.

How can I object to an application?

If you wish to object to an application, you may give written notice of your objection within 28 days of the application.

Is there an appeals process?

Please contact us in the first instance.

Applicants may appeal to the Magistrates Court within 21 days of being notified of a decision, unless the licence was refused on the grounds of:

  • the number of sex establishments in the area exceeds the number which we consider is appropriate
  • to grant a licence would be inappropriate considering the character of the area, the nature of other premises in the area, or the premises themselves.

In these circumstances, there is no right of appeal.

Do you want to make a complaint?

If you have a complaint in relation to a sex establishment or for more information please complete our online contact form.