One of the effects of climate change is the reduction of fresh water levels. This leads to water shortages, and can make water supplies more expensive.
Using less water and using it more efficiently is now more important than ever. The South East of England is at most risk UK wide from drought.
Increased growth in the Aylesbury Vale, Milton Keynes and Thames Gateway areas will only exacerbate this. As such, water should not be considered as a cheap resource.
- Ensure taps aren’t left running- a dripping tap can waste 100 litres of water a week.
- Water plants with rainwater. You could use a bucket to collect the rain.
- Take showers instead of baths.
- Ensure washing machines and dishwashers are as efficient as possible. A rated or higher.
- During the colder months the efficient delivery and cost for supply of hot water can easily be improved by better pipe insulation.
- When building a new property or extension, consider rainwater capture.