Temporary event notice

If you’re organising a temporary event and want to serve or sell alcohol, provide late-night refreshment, or put on regulated entertainment, you’ll need to complete a temporary event notice (TEN).

If you are organising an event we recommend that you also visit our Safety Advisory Group page.  On this page you will find information and advice about organising an event, including Covid-19 guidance.

We have changed the way you need to apply for a TEN. Applications can only be done online and payment must be made by credit/debit card. The online form can be accessed via My Account which you will need to register for before applying. 

A TEN is a form that you provide to the local council, the police and environmental health, letting them know about the planned event.

There are 2 types of TENs:

  • a standard TEN, which is given no later than 10 working days before the event to which it relates
  • a late TEN, which is given not before 9 and not later than 5 working days before the event

A TEN can be used to authorise relatively small scale, ad hoc events with licensable activities that:

  • have fewer than 500 people at all times (including staff)
  • last for no more than 168 hours (7 days)

They can be used for:

  • events outside the terms of an existing premises licence
  • events where there is no existing premises licence

Are there restrictions on the number of TENs I can apply for?

You need a TEN for each event you hold on the same premises.

You can apply for multiple TENs at the same time but each TEN will be a separate event and have a separate fee.

There are limits on the number of TENs you can apply for each year:

  • 5 TENs (50 if you’re a personal licence holder)
  • 2 late TENs (10 if you’re a personal licence holder)
  • 15 TENs per premises
  • the maximum aggregate duration of the periods covered by a TEN at any individual premises is 21 days - There must be at least 24 hours between temporary events organised by the same person or an associate in relation to the same premises

How do I apply for a TEN?

You can only apply for a TEN online. To do so you will first need to register for a My Account.

You must make the application at least 10 working days before the event not including the date of receipt or the date of the event.

If the premises where the event is going to be held is governed by more than 1 local authority, you must apply to each.

The fee for a TEN is £21.

Late notices can be given no later than 5 working day before the event. Late TENs should only be used in exceptional circumstances.


Once the police or environmental health receive your TEN, they have 3 working days to make any objections to it on the grounds of any of the 4 licensing objectives:

  • prevention of crime and disorder
  • prevention of public nuisance
  • public safety
  • protection of children from harm

If they object, the council will organise a hearing to consider the evidence and may decide that your event cannot proceed. If there is an objection to a late TEN, the event will not be allowed to proceed. Otherwise, the event can go ahead as planned.

We can also intervene if:

  • there’s an objection to a late TEN
  • if you exceed the limits of the number of TENs you’re allowed

If there’s an objection, the licensing committee will hold a hearing and will make a decision no later than 24 hours before the event.

Is there an appeals process?

Applicants should contact us in the first instance.

The applicant may appeal against a decision to the local Magistrates Court within 21 days (and no later than 5 working days from the day of the planned event).

The chief police officer can appeal in the same way if we decide not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection.

Apply online for a temporary events notice

For more information please complete our online contact form.