Universal Credit

Universal Credit will be replacing some benefits

Online claims update

Online claims are verified over the phone and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may contact you from a private/withheld or 0800 number.

For security, the DWP will send a message via your Universal Credit Journal letting you know they will contact you. When on the call they will provide part of your account number and your postcode so you know it is a genuine call.

Due to the volume of calls the DWP are experiencing, please only call them if you are unable to use Universal Credit online.


From 15 May 2019, couples will only be able to get Pension Credit or pension age income-related benefits only when BOTH partners have reached the qualifying age. Mixed age couples will no longer have the option of claiming these pension age benefits.

This change does NOT affect mixed age couples who are currently in receipt of pension age benefits or Housing Benefit immediately before 15 May unless there is a change in circumstances (in which case, they will need to make a new claim for Universal Credit).

Mixed age couples who get pension age Housing Benefit but not Pension Credit can still make a new claim for Pension Credit after 15 May if they need additional support with their daily living expenses (provided they are entitled to pension age Housing Benefit at the date of claim).

Mixed age couples who receive Pension Credit but not pension age Housing Benefit, can make a new claim for Housing Benefit after 15 May if they need help with their rent costs.

For more information, read the Gov.uk guide you on how to claim Universal Credit if you are part of a mixed age couple.


What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit (UC) is the new benefit for working-age people who are on low income or out of work and claim benefits. It’s paid by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and replaces a number of benefits, including tax credits and housing benefit. Following the gradual roll-out nationally, Aylesbury Vale became a ‘Full UC Service’ on 26 September 2018.

Residents who are currently claiming housing benefit, will be gradually moved to Universal Credit as and when their circumstances change. However, it will not affect everyone.

We want to ensure our residents who claim benefits are fully prepared when they are moved to Universal Credit, and below we've provided lots of information for our residents, landlords and partners regarding how Universal Credit could affect them.

For more information on UC visit the GOV.UK website.

For more information on housing benefit, see our housing benefit web page.


** Please be aware that fraudsters are currently targeting UC claimants. **