What do I need to do to apply for a licence?
You must be at least 21 and have held a full EU drivers licence for at least 18 months.
Private hire drivers will also require:
- an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check
- a Driving Standards Agency taxi test
- a Group 2 medical test
- DVLA licence check
Hackney carriage drivers will require:
- everything that a private hire driver needs
- enhanced wheelchair Driving Standards Agency taxi test
- comprehensive Knowledge test (geographical awareness)
Renewing my licence
Renewing drivers don’t need to retake the DSA driving tests and renewing hackney carriage applicants won’t need to repeat the knowledge test, but all other checks will be carried out upon renewal of the licence.
Please email us to check when your inspection is due.
Make an application
- Apply for a taxi driver licence
- Apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence
- Apply for a private vehicle licence
- Apply for a private hire operator licence
- Taxi vehicle registration number exchange
For the process of making your applications and making a booking, please see the following instructional videos: