Legal responsibilities for waste disposal
If you give waste to someone else, you must be sure they’re authorised to take it and can transport, recycle or dispose of it safely.
If you break the law, you can be fined an unlimited amount.
Businesses have a duty of care to make sure:
- Waste is stored, handled, recycled or disposed of safely and legally
- Waste is stored, handled, recycled or disposed of only by businesses which hold the correct current licences to do the work
- Record all transfers of waste between their business and another business using a waste transfer note (WTN)
- Keep all WTNs signed by both businesses, for at least two years
- Record any transfer of hazardous/special waste between their business and another business using a consignment note
- Keep all consignment notes, signed by both businesses for at least three years